Full width home advertisement

Post Page Advertisement [Top]

Public speaking causes nightmares. People are afraid to speak before an audience.Speaking in public can and does cause fear. People from all walks of life are frightened of public speaking. Giving speeches can therefore be very intimidating. My experience in the practice of law has taken me into courtrooms where I was required to make oral presentations in front of the judge, my client, opposing counsel, the opposing party, court staff and members of the public. At other times in other venues I have given speeches, or made presentations. I wish to share with you a couple of simple techniques I have used that have enabled me to conquer my fear of public speaking. This is not me saying to you I am a great orator. Absolutely not. But I no longer consider speaking in public terrifying. Just try two techniques. The techniques are to 1.) Use your imagination, and 2.) Prepare.
"It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed." Theodore Roosevelt
1.) FIRST TECHNIQUE- IMAGINATION
The first technique I like to employ is very simple indeed. When we are scared to speak in public, we are focused on how difficult our job is going to be. We keep thinking we are going to forget what we need to say, or, no one will understand us. We all have this tendency to think we are the only ones giving a speech, or arguing in front of a judge and/or a jury. We feel all alone. We feel like we are nothing. We fear being by ourselves in front of others. When I am in court, or giving a speech, its true that I am generally standing alone. These are the two most familiar venues in my own personal experience in the world of public speaking but there are scores of other places where people go to speak to groups of other people. In reality, there is a very simple but powerful truth which we fail to recognize every time we get ready to speak. The truth is, even if we are the President of the United States about to give a speech on national television, there are many, many other people speaking, or about to speak in public at the same time as us! Not only are there people about to speak at the precise time as we are, but even in the case of our President, there are perhaps many, many other Presidents or Prime Ministers of other foreign nations involved in speaking at the same time. In other words, in my case, when I began my legal career I would have to go into a court of law and talk to a judge. The first few trips to court were full of fear, anxiety and pain. I had no idea if what I needed to say I would be able to say, or, if I would make any sense. But after the first handful of hearings I began to notice a crucial something, a piece of information that would literally transform my perceptions, then my presentations. I began to see there were, in my case, lists of cases printed on legal paper hanging just outside the courtroom door in front of the department where I was going to appear. I saw perhaps ten or fifteen other cases, and other attorneys, all about to appear before the same judge at the same time. I realized that what I was about to do was definitely hard, but also not unique. The work I needed to do, the messages, arguments and information I needed to convey were not uncommon. In other words, my oral presentation was just one of perhaps a hundred other cases going on in my courthouse, and possibly thousands of other cases taking place in other locations throughout Los Angeles and the United States.
The realization of this phenomenon made a big difference in my professional life. I gained confidence knowing there were other attorneys doing just about the same thing I was doing, at the same time, in the same building! From this point forward, whenever I needed to go to court, just before I did this I imagined all of courtrooms in the building I was driving to. I then realized there were a lot of other attorneys doing the same thing. I would then imagine all of the courthouses where there were attorneys doing what I was doing. My work was important, somewhat difficult and time consuming. I prepared very thoroughly. But when it comes right down to it, in my opinion, if there are so many other people doing the same thing I was doing it could not be that hard. The work is fairly common, and not unique. When I say this I don't mean to imply the work is not important. I also don't mean to give you the impression practicing law in court or giving speeches before a large audience is easy. Not even close. However, in order to break down the element of fear, you must eliminate your belief that you are alone, unique or the very first person in the world to ever speak before an audience. You might be standing by yourself in front of a judge or large audience speaking, but you can be sure there other folks doing just about the same thing as you at the same time, albeit in different geographic locations. One can apply this concept to just about any variety of public speaking. Take a chance and use your imagination. But, never overlook the second part of my formula for tackling your fear. Preparation.
2.) SECOND TECHNIQUE: PREPARATION
Everyone always talks about the importance of being prepared. However, in reality, what exactly does this mean, and, how do you prepare effectively?
"You cannot dream yourself into a character: you must hammer and forge yourself into one."
Henry David Thoreau
I love the way Mr. Thoreau thinks. Mr. Thoreau recognizes so much truth for the rest of us. He conveys the reality of success is actually not much more than very work. My belief is each person is going to need to develop, and acquire their own brand of preparation. Having said that, there are some definite elements involved. When you are going to give a speech, or, appear in court, do not ever wait until the last second. I hear people say, when I ask them if they are ready, yes, I am going to "wing it". When I hear this, I know this means the person is not prepared. People who for whatever reason do not want to prepare say they "have to just show up and do it". Well, I disagree vehemently. I understand being flexible, and spontaneous. But when you are not prepared, you have nothing particular to say. You don't set the agenda of what is said, you are going to react to what the judge says. If you need to speak to a group of club members, an audience, if you just appear before them, I suppose you might have to begin by asking questions of your audience. You would have to ask them if they have any questions. My experience is most people do not attend a meeting with a speaker who asks them to set the agenda. A speaker must present with an agenda. Finding your agenda will take some time, and, some preparation. If you have no ideas, and no agenda, people will just leave your speech. The very worst thing happens: people see you are not ready, and rather than ask you to speak about x, y, or z they might walkout.
Why someone would not prepare I cannot say. The first thing about preparation is to begin immediately.
Right down, brainstorm what you need or want to say. Don't worry about an outline per se, or, using precise language. Begin with going over your documentation. Figure out what is most important. Find the essential information. Determine the essence of the problem or material. When you have found the essence, begin to write down what you need or want to say. Stick with this, go through the problem until you finish. Remember, you can abbreviate, this is a rough, rough first draft. If you are tired after this, put the work aside and do something else. The beauty of starting to prepare early is you have the luxury of time on your side. Time can be a friend or an enemy. When you are early, and when you begin your work early, time is on your side. I can promise you this, if you wait to prepare until just before your speech, or hearing, you are going to be nervous. Being nervous means you are under more stress than you need. Going to court is stressful all by itself. Waiting until the last second to prepare your work simply doubles the stress. When you are under a double dose of stress, your mind will not work as efficiently. You will skip things,miss things, and lose your train of thought. Suddenly, what you are doing is much more difficult. There are errors you are making, and, you have made your job much tougher. I am not saying pressure is always bad. I am saying preparing at the last second is bad. You don't need twice the pressure.
Alright, now you are aware you need to begin right away. How do people prepare to give speeches or speak to a judge? I write an outline, or, I write a list of the most important items I need to discuss, argue or present. I try to put the points with the highest priority on top of the sheet of paper I am using. As I do this I also try and read these words out loud. Obviously, you cannot read things out loud if you are amongst other people. So try this, go for a walk.
It might look to an outsider or stranger like you are nuts talking to yourself. So what. Nowadays, people might just think you are talking on a cell phone. Just practice your speech over, and over again. If you hesitate slightly, go back to the beginning and start again. If you can, use a friend or someone as a sounding board. They might give you some pointers. You can also write out the things you plan to say. You can write them on a sheet of scratch paper, over and over again. Writing down your arguments, or speech, cements the ideas and makes them much easier to recall at a later time.
I wish you all the best, and the greatest amount of success possible. If in your future you are facing the prospect of speaking before an audience, remember you are not alone, there are others doing the same thing you are doing at the same time all over the place. Give yourself an advantage by being prepared. Your future is unwritten, turn it into something you will be proud of.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/6552723

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bottom Ad [Post Page]

| Designed by Colorlib